Who doesn't love a good party? Photo editors Laurie Green, Daniella Nilva-Cunnighman and I sure do! We're at the Rube Goldberg book launch party held at Paul Stuart. The photographer officially took our picture but alas, it didn't make the cut. So here's the selfie!
Three openings last night, two at Pace Gallery including a preview of Chuck Close's "Nudes". I've met a few celebrities in my day, but I'm totally freaking out with Marina Abramović and duh, Chuck Close there.
Generally I prefer more controlled shooting to events, but instead saw the marbling event as a reportage opportunity. Sometimes it's good to go out of your comfort zone, no? It was held in Primrose Cafe in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. In the back room. At night. Dimly lit and small. And low ceilings.
No problem. Bouncing a flash onto the ceiling and photographing at ISO 1600, I was able to bleed in a tiny bit of ambient and still retain sharpness.
Afterward were cocktails made with Brooklyn Brewery Chocolate Stout, Citrus Hella Bitter, a little U-Bet chocolate syrup and bubbly - surprisingly yummy! Plus Mast Chocolates to snack on and goodie bag.
It's here - Open Show NY #9 at the Bronx Documentary Center. Our first themed show! - HOME! We're presenting amazing photography from Brenda Ann Kenneally, Laura Glabman, Nancy Borowick, Sheila Griffin and Smita Sharma.
Here's a list of events to plan out your schedule.
*** Update Oct 22 *** I've added a couple more events at the bottom
- PDN Photo Plus Expo and Conference (Oct 23-36): This one is MASSIVE. Like proper, overwhelming conference. Held at the Javits Center, it's gear, seminars, portfolio reviews, lots of SWAG. It's still FREE to register (Expo only) until the 22nd, so get on it!
- And there's happenings off-site as well like Leica's S-System events at Go Studios.
- shoot nyc (Oct 24-25): This is totally FREE! Thanks Hasselblad and Broncolor. Go for the talks. Beth Taubner of Mercury Lab is presenting a branding seminar on Friday. If it's anything like last year's, you'll gain a lot! shoot nyc is walkable from Photo Plus. And the free Hassy tote I got last year was way cooler than the generic Photo Plus one ;o)
- Drinking/Parties: You'll need one after talking shop all day, even better that the drinks are free. Digital Transitions 10 Year Anniversary, Photo Plus 30th Anniversary, Photoshelter & Agency Access Happy Hour
- On Tuesday (22nd), AbelCine is hosting Beyond the Frame: Expanding the Language of Journalism Through Motion. VII photojournalists will be discussing how they use video to tell stories.
- On Saturday (26th) there's the Lucie Lectures featuring Taryn Simon and Ricky Flores. The actual Lucie Awards ceremony is on Sunday at Carnegie Hall. Cocktail/black tie folks!
- Steven Kasher Gallery is having two opening receptions Thurs, Oct 24 6-8pm - Vietnam: The Real War: A Photographic History from the Associated Press and Leo Rubinfien/Beyond the War: Seven Photographs from Southeast Asia, 1984-1987
- My fellow photographer Lisette Poole is hosting a benefit for Hurricane Sandy victims in Cuba at Videology Bar in Williamsburg.
- NYC Salt, a digital photography program for underprivileged youth, is having an open house on the 24th, 6-9pm, sponsored by Lexar.
- I hear talk of a Getty party as well...
*** Update ***
- Peter Hurley/F-Stoppers Party : Sat, Oct 26 8pm - 12am. This isn't free though - $20, all you can drink and eat.
- B&H and Maine Media Workshops Alumni, Faculty, and Friends Annual Party : Wed, Oct 23 7-9pm
Too much going on! Which events are you going to? If you want to meet up, drop me a line and we'll coordinate.
That's right! Open Show NY #8 is this evening.
Come check out photo projects from Ilona Szwarc, M. Wesley Ham, Tiana Markova-Gold, Johnny Milano and Joseph Michael Lopez. We'll also have a Q&A with the artists.
The Half King | 505 W23rd St | 7-9pm
HINT: get there early to snag a seat and order food. It's gonna be packed!
Oh did I mention it's FREE! (not the food or booze though). I'll be at the door checking people in; say hi!
Oh no. Here comes trouble - Amy Mayes and I checked out Photoville yesterday afternoon. It's immediately better than last year since they scheduled for Fall (Whew! Last year was in the middle of summer and way too hot to be walking in and out of shipping containers contemplating work - sorry, had to admit it).
We started off with the Luminance talk, Bring Your C Game (Creativity) to an Editorial Shoot with RollingStone's Deborah Dragon and photographer Peter Yang. It was a behind the scenes look at some of Peter's celebrity portraits for the magazine. Super nice guy too!
Photo exhibits are in the main area. Like last year, each is in shipping container. Prints are held up by magnets. Hip and eco-friendly! There's lots to see, so plan on spending a few hours hanging out, a few shows here, maybe a beer, a couple more shipping containers, maybe another beer and snack. We blazed through, which I really wish I hadn't, but you do what you can, no? I'm off to a wedding this weekend, so can't come back.
If you're zipping through, check out the following:
- 501 Photographs (container #12)
- Metropolis (container #13)
- Tyler Hicks: One Year (container #17)
- Heaven's Gain (container #23)
- Disco Night Sept 11 (TIME Lightbox - container #32)
- Photo Requests From Solitary (container #34)
- Fractured: The Shale Play (container #38)
- Rebels (container #39)
And don't forget the Fence! Especially my friend Radhika's work Puppies Behind Bars.
Go out and have fun!
Open Show NYC is a bi-monthly photo/video screening and Q&A. We have 5 presenters (4 still and 1 video/multimedia). Let's build a community and dialog about visual imagery.
Here are the presenters for Open Show #8:
Ilona Szwarc – Rodeo Girls
Johnny Milano – Dolphin Lane
Joseph Michael Lopez – Dear New Yorker
M.Wesley Ham - South of Here
Tiana Markova-Gold - Scènes et Types
Please RSVP on our Facebook page so we know you're coming -